A total of 3,013 people attended the 2009 Generation Next Seminar Series across Australia. 82% of these participants purchased tickets while the remaining 18% were given complimentary tickets as part of our strategy to make the event accessible to those who may be financially disadvantaged. Participants were asked to complete and return a feedback form to help us evaluate their experience and their perception of the seminar’s effectiveness.
Based on all delegate feedback forms received in 2009
On average, approximately 51% of participants reported being parents, 27% teachers, 7% nurses, 4% psychologists, 2% relatives of a young person, 1% doctors and 8% ‘other’ (clergy, police, counsellors etc).
“Will young people benefit as a result of your participation in this seminar?”: 80% of respondents answered “definitely” while 19% answered “probably”
The following proportions of the audience reported the seminar as “very useful” (highest possible rating) in providing them with increased understanding of the key topic areas:
- 86% with regard to alcohol in young people
- 85% to understand depression in young people
- 82% to understand bullying and young people
- 78% with regard to cybersafety and young people
- 77% with regard to sexualisation of young people in the media
- 77% to understand how to effectively communicate with young people
- 75% to understand sexual activity in young people
The following proportions of the audience reported the seminar as “very useful” (highest possible rating) in providing them with practical strategies:
- 83% with regard to alcohol in young people
- 82% with regard to depression in young people
- 78% with regard to bullying amongst young people (covered in Brisbane and Perth events only)
- 73% with regard to cybersafety of young people
- 71% with regard to communication with young people
- 69% with regard to sexualisation in the media
- 69% to deal with the sexual activity of young people
The following is a selection of the overwhelmingly positive feedback comments we received in response to the 2009 Generation Next Seminar Series.
As a mother of a 13 year old girl and 1 year old boy, I just wanted to thank Dr Manocha for his integrity and drive in founding such a worthwhile seminar. The content is something many parents are concerned about but often accept as inevitable – but as discussed, that shouldn’t be the case – our children deserve us to be parents, not best friends creating higher boundaries to prevent the anxieties and depression that is such a large part of our society – a few old fashioned values and morals may just reverse the tide of the "want now, expect now" attitude.
Once again, thank you for taking the huge step in recognising and acting upon the problems teenagers are facing and endeavouring to address and solve. It reinforced the info I already know and gave me further avenues to help the year 7 students I teach. I loved the humour and the frankness of the seminar. Awesome personalities! I wish more parents were brave enough to come to this seminar! Honest down to earth and genuine advice given by genuine people who know what they’re talking about. Very engaging presenters – easy to sit through 5 hours!
Parent power! Motivated and encouraged that I make and can make a difference to my kids
Excellent presenters with practical tips to help support the kids I teach and have at home!
The range of topics covered across the ages – not just geared to one age- was excellent
I think everything was great. The panel of experts were so knowledgeable and provided a complete and informed way to educate the audience. I have learned so much. Fantastic value for money. All speakers were engaging, knowledgeable and extremely interesting. All of it was great – thankyou.
Very entertaining and knowledgeable presenters – very easy to listen to and learn from. Great range of speakers.
I thoroughly appreciated every aspect, from the viewpoint of both a parent and a teacher. The Generation Next seminar made me realise even more so the importance of communication, honesty and ensuring that I am there for my child and students.
An opportunity to listen to a group of people who are well respected in their fields, and be given valuable knowledge and skills to help me in my relationship with my child.